Every year we try and share in the spirit of the holiday with recipes from our amazing chefs. This year we're doing it again with a recipe from Chef Greg D'Alessandro. We're actually serving this dish as we speak with a seared Ling Cod - the balance is perfect for either meat or fish. Our Chefs are truly gifted.
So here it is, Chef Greg's Chestnut Bread Pudding Recipe!
Chestnut bread pudding: serves 8
- 6 loaves of brioche
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 quart heavy cream
- 1 T chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 lb. roasted and peeled chestnuts
- 1 T soft butter
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t ground pepper
- Combine the whole eggs and heavy cream together with a whisk to create a custard base
- Tear brioche into 3/4 in pieces and mix into the custard base
- Add chopped chestnuts and thyme to the custard along with salt and pepper
- Pre-grease a casserole dish with soft butter
- Place bread pudding in a casserole dish and bake at 350° in a convection oven for about 30 minutes
A good way to check and see if it's done is to place a toothpick in the center of the bread pudding, if it comes out clean, it's ready. Also note you can find ready to use chestnuts at most supermarkets.