The holidays are a time of indulgence. The next recipe featured is the epitome of that- Crab Benedict with Artichokes. Chef Parke has shared this glory with me and I can't wait to share it with you.
This recipe is intense, proceed with dedication and caution......
Dungeness Crab Benedict with Artichokes
For the Hollandaise
1# butter, cubed
1T Lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
To Make the Hollandaise
1. Bring four gallons of water to a boil. In a medium mixing bowl combine egg yolks and lemon juice.
2. Whisk yolks till they lighten in color and increase in volume. Place bowl of yolks over the boiling water, lower heat to medium-low and begin to whisk the yolk mixture. Gradually add butter one or two cubes at a time and continue to whisk till all butter has been emulsified into the sauce.
3. Continue to cook the hollandaise until it is thick and holds its shape, it should not be runny. To test for thickness dip a spoon into the sauce, then run your finger down the back of the spoon. If a solid line forms and the sauce holds to the spoon, you have reached the desired consistency.
4. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne till desired flavor is reached, strain through a fine mesh sieve and hold warm.
To prepare the crab
Four 2# live Dungeness crabs
8 gal boiling water seasoned with grey sea salt. The water should be salty like the sea
Method for cooking crab
Place crabs into boiling water and set a timer for 13 minutes.
While crabs are cooking prepare an ice bath.
After 13 minutes place crabs into ice bath and allow to cool for a full 20-30 minutes.
Once crabs are cool, remove from ice bath, clean and pick the crabs. Remove the heads, the apron, and the gills from the crab. Using crackers and a shellfish fork, crack the legs and claws of the crab and remove meat from the legs and body using the shellfish fork. Pick through the meat once more to ensure there are no shells.
Ingredients To Build The Dish
1. 4 high quality English muffins, cut in half and toasted
2. 8 eggs poached so that the yolks are still runny
3. 8c raw spinach lightly sauted in olive oil
4. 4 artichokes, leaves and chokes removed and steamed till fork tender. Cut artichokes into wedges
5. 2oz. lightly warmed crab meat
6. 8oz. Hollandaise sauce
7. One bunch thinly sliced chives for garnish.
To Plate the dish
Place halved and toasted English muffins on the plate. Top with sauted spinach and artichoke wedges. Place warm crab on top of artichokes, place one egg on each half of the English muffin. Top each half with 2oz of hollandaise and garnish with chives